The garage door is the biggest entry point in your home and it may also be the largest moving part of your home. That being said, it can be the heaviest that is why it can also cause harm or danger if it is not used properly. Statistics show that most people use the garage to enter and exit their homes and having this heavy object above you can be dangerous if you do not properly fix or maintain it. Here are a few tips on how to ensure your safety with the use of garage doors.
1. Call the repairman immediately – When a problem arises with your garage door, it is best to call someone who offers garage door repair milwaukee wi. Do not try to diagnose the problem on your own especially if you do not have any idea with what you are doing. It would be best not to tamper with it because it would be more dangerous for you. The garage door is made of springs that have high tension and it can be dangerous if you tinker them without knowledge about them.
2. Don’t play with it – The garage door isn’t a toy so you shouldn’t play with it. Although it can be entertaining to see the garage door open and close with the use of a remote, it can be very dangerous to let children play with the remote. Make sure you teach the children that the garage door is not a toy that they can play with. They might get hurt with it or someone else could get hurt while they play with it.
3. Proper maintenance of the garage door – You have to get to know your garage door and know its parts so that you can maintain it on your own. Make sure you inspect it regularly and apply lubricant when needed. It is also important that you keep it clean to make sure it moves properly.
4. Balance check – Another thing that you should inspect is if the door is balanced. One way to do this is to open the door manually by pulling it open. If you can do this with minimal effort and if you feel that the door lifts up smoothly, then the door is balanced.
5. Checking the sensitivity – Garage doors are made to reverse once it feels an object on its way. You can test this by placing an object that is a couple of inches in height from the floor. Once the garage door reaches it and reverses the movement on its own, then it is still sensitive, but if it doesn’t then you need to adjust it to make it safer.
6. Sensor Check – It is mandated that all garage door openers have a reversing feature but some of them might not be installed properly. You have to check for it to make sure that it works. The beam should be just a few inches off the ground. It has to be detected by the door to make sure that pets and other people don’t get squished by your garage door.